Timeline of Saeed’s Case


  • Saeed Dezfouli born in Iran. 


  • Migrated to Australia. Immediately began studying a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in political sciences. 


  • Saeed became a citizen of Australia, and began working as a court interpreter for the Ethnic Affairs Commission NSW,


  • Throughout 2001, Saeed received death threats. Decided to take action, and thus warned authorities on his concerns prior to committing the crime. He was accused of setting fire to the foyer of the Community Relations Commission (formerly the Ethnic Affairs Commission) at Ashfield by using a container of petrol. He was taken to Burwood police station where he was insulted, assaulted and unlawfully interrogated by the NSW Police. He was subsequently charged with several offences.


  • 9th of January, Saeed was arrested and detained in the forensic hospital.
  • Douglas Holmes makes first contact with Justice Action on behalf of mental health consumers concerning mistreatment in Long Bay Correctional Centre.


  • Saeed lodged a complaint to the Administrative Decisions Tribunal (ADT) on grounds of discrimination that he could not undertake any educational courses and was denied access to educational resource


  • 16th of March, Long Bay lockdown. Saeed created petition- signed by 32 patients. Victory for mental health patients.


  • Anti administration complaint dealt with. Preliminary hearings were held during this period.
  • 18th of June, Brett Collins makes first visit to become primary carer of Saeed Dezfouli.
  • 20th of August, Letter sent to the Mental Health Review Tribunal following a hearing regarding issues of forced medication, choice of psychiatrist, transfer to different ward, access to escorted leave and education and recognition of rights.
  • The Administrative Decisions Tribunal found that Saeed was unfit to represent himself due to the fact that he was a forensic patient. The court referred Saeed to PILCH (Public Interest Law Clearing House) training in which a lawyer was allocated to represent Saeed (Robert White).


  • 16th of September, name challenge began with Saeed writing to Justice Action asking to make an application under section 162 of the Mental Health Act (2007) allowing him the right to publish his own name.
  • Lawyers, Paul Bodisco, Christine Nash and Andrew Dikha helped argue Saeed’s case.
  • 23rd of November, there was the appeal hearing at the Supreme Court held on the 11 of February 2010.
  • Case heard on the 26th of November, in the Supreme Court. Justice Peter Johnson handed down his decision. Case was lost and $36,000 in costs was awarded against Saeed and Brett Collins (primary carer).


  • 24th of March, 16th hearing. The application made for adjournment was not given the ‘treating team report’ before the hearing. Courts refused discussion about legal representation and permission to publish his name in the Herald (regarding the refusal to adjourn).
  • Legal aid funding was approved and granted to Saeed’s lawyers (Robert White) in May.
  • 4th of August, the Hearing of appeal to use his name to the Supreme Court- against Tribunals rejection.
  • 29th of September, 17th hearing. Victory! Justice Action workers allowed in the forensic visit Saeed after two years, click here for a report on the visit.


  • 13th of December, attorney general relents in attack on patient. Justice Action welcomes the Attorney Generals statements that he will reconsider his demand for $36,00 in court costs from a mental health patient and his primary carer who challenged his treatment.
  • Mr. Collins held a media conference on the steps of the Local Court Downing centre at 1pm today to deliver his response to the arrest threat from the crown solicitor for the attorney general.


  • 11th March 2013, Mr Saeed Dezfouli filed an application in the supreme court of NSW for leave to appeal from a determination made by the mental health review on the 30th of January 2013.
  • 26th of March, the amended summons seeking leave to appeal was filed. Bret Anthony Collins acted on behalf of Saeed Dezfouli, versing the Mental Health review tribunal.
  • 15th of April, the National inclusion conference was held in Canberra, and Saeeds case was heard in a public arena.
  • 7th of June, the Affidavit of Brett Anthony Collins was filed, and contained matters to do with the case of Saeed.
  • 27th of July, the Mental Health Review Tribunal chaired by an ex-Supreme Court Justice conducted a hearing for the case of A with A’s psychiatrists.


  • 20th of February, Saeed Dezfouli held face down by seven nurses and a doctor, and was injected with 150mg of Paliperidone as a new trial medicine by the Forensic Hospital, after twelve years of other forced medication, and goes on hunger strike in protest.
  • 22nd of February, Saeed Dezfouli calls off his hunger strike.  
  • 12th of March, the Mental Health Review Tribunal conducts an urgent review on Saeed’s case. 
  • 16th of May, Mental Health Review Tribunal threatens indefinite imprisonment.
  • 4th of September, Mental Health Review Tribunal Hearing followed a series of meetings with the hospital that were held to address why key recommendations from the last MHRT hearing had not been implemented.
  • 8th of December Saeed Dezfouli was called into the Doctors office, restrained by seven nurses and forcibly injected  with medication that he had a known sensitivity to. This medication had been changed without any consultation or clinical justification.


  • 2nd of March two cost orders previously issued against Brett Collins, coordinator of Justice Action and Saeed’s primary carer, had been waivered
  • 26th of March the Mental Health Review Tribunal reasserted its unwillingness to intervene by reviewing and authorising medication changes made by Justice Health

Leave a Comment