- Report of LHDs Implementation of Miriam Merten Reforms
- Failed Health Department Plan Media Release 16th May 2018
- Miriam Merton Mental Hospital Death Inquiry Media Release 22nd December 2017
- Miriam Merton Mental Hospital Death Inquiry Media Release 9th November 2017
- Miriam Merten health department inquiry
- Submission to the Legislative Assembly Public Accounts Committee – Management and Delivery of Health Care in NSW
Justice Action submitted a report to the NSW Health Department Inquiry after the death of Miriam Merten, mother of two and a mental health patient from Lismore Base Hospital. Miriam died on 3rd June 2014 from injuries sustained during her time in seclusion. The horrific nature of Miriam’s treatment was evidenced with shocking CCTV footage of her final hours, exposing the lack of care from the NSW Health Staff at Lismore Base Hospital along with their abject failure to intervene in her untimely death.
Ms Merten died in 2014 from a brain injury after she fell more than 20 times whilst in the care of the Mental Health Unit of Lismore Base Hospital. The coronial inquest into Ms Merten’s death found that Ms Merton died from a “traumatic brain injury caused by numerous falls and the self-beating of her head on various surfaces, the latter not done with the intention of taking her life”. Disturbing CCTV footage of the neglected, blood and faeces splattered, Ms Merten wondering the corridors of the Lismore facility on the night of her death have emerged, and be viewed in this article.