The Mental Health Tribunal on 23 February 2018 declined a request from Mr. Dezfouli for his unconditional release and repatriation to Iran. It said that it needed to consider the safety of Iranian citizens and the adequacy of Iranian mental health services. That “any member of the public” appearing in ss43(a) and 74(d) of the Mental Health (Forensic Provisions) Act 1990 (MHFPA) includes members of the public of foreign countries.
A Special Hearing has been set down in the Forensic Hospital Long Bay on May 24 to argue the law.
- Justice Health Submission to the Mental Health Tribunal
- Mental Health Tribunal Listing of Special Fixture Hearing March 19, 2018
- Outline of Submissions on behalf of the Attorney-General April 23, 2018
Tribunal's response to Saeed's request:
- Correspondence April 4, 2018
- Correspondence April 13, 2018
- Correspondence April 24, 2018
- Correspondence May 7, 2018
To read more about Saeed's case, see Saeed Dezfouli